Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Sleepless Night

It's 3:00 AM and the only two people I know in this whole wide world that will be awake are DeDe (in Bagdad) and Pam (a night owl in Iowa). I've never done a "Blog" before but have enjoyed reading Audra's "Penquins" and, of course, DeDe's "Girl in the Sandbox". I can't compete with my very witty niece or my expert daughter in form or interesting content, I'm sure but I do find this a much simpler way to share with everyone what is happening in our lives. And, unlike email, this does not imply the need for a reply. Thus, it should reduce the number of internet forwards I receive each day.

Now, don't get me wrong!! Some of them are very interesting (the forwards, that is) and some make me smile. Some are even cute enough to send on to others. But, since I never receive an actual communication from many of you, I must assume that the forwards are your way of answering my emails. This will be easier. Is my logic flawed??

As to why I can't sleep tonight - I don't really know. I have a long prayer list - several people are heavy on my heart tonight so that may be part of it.

Also, I'm missing my children and grandchildren tonight. The hardest part of leading a gypsy kind of life is not being any part of my family's life. We are all a rather independent bunch but we used to gather round for the occassional holiday or special event. Everyone is so scattered these days that it is difficult to get one part of the family together - much less all of them in one spot! And there is so much time between visits that it takes awhile to stop feeling like a stranger to my own family. At other times, I don't necessarily feel estranged - but I can't be there when I feel as though I could be helpful - like helping a grandchild through a rough time or helping out when someone is sick. So, some nights I miss the big Thanksgiving dinners, the birthday parties and the regular sharing that is part of the normal family life.

But, that's okay!! I'm always better in the morning!!! 'Cause we have never been normal and because I'm not cooking, cleaning or planning events. I'm golfing, sightseeing, learning a new language, learning how to blog or planning my next big adventure! This coming summer is New England and Nova Scotia and next summer is Alaska!!!

And in this age of economic chaos (and it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better!), world turmoil and cultural and class warfare, I simply feel blessed to be out and about enjoying the wonder and beauty that G-d created in this land. My children turned out to be wonderful , successful people in spite of my best efforts to ruin them and I really do enjoy their company. I apologize to them for not leaving the world a better place for them - but I left them better for the world. And now, I am blessed with the peace and contentment of this new lifestyle and I hope to enjoy it for a long time yet. Oh! And I will share pictures as soon as figure out how to do it.

Tomorrow I will post requests for prayers. I hope the various prayer warriors will activate the prayer chains for these requests and then bring me your requests that I might pass them on to the many others I've met in my travels.

Shalom - Baruch aba b'Shem Adonai - G-d Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog and I think I am getting this all sorted out.

    Prayer request: Luke and Marissa Ostby in vitro pregnancy with twins. (Rita's youngest son and daughter - in - law) please continue to pray that they will come to term. This is their second try. Thanks - John Ulrich

    ReplyDelete